aardisden

Welcome to aardi's den.
It is currently 19 Feb 2020, 01:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2020, 12:48 

1. All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in it’s own way.
2. Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small yellow sun.
3. It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen.
4. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.
5. It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
6. Mr and Mrs Dursley of number four, Privet Drive were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
7. All children, except one grow up.
8. Call me Ishmael.
9. If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you’ll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don’t feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth.
10. I begin with writing the first sentence – and trusting to Almighty God for the second.
11. The year 1866 was signalized by a remarkable incident, a mysterious inexplicable phenomenon which doubtless no one has yet forgotten.
12. “Where’s Papa going with that ax?” said Fern as they were setting the table for breakfast.
13. The drought had lasted now for ten million years, and the reign of the terrible lizards had long since ended.
14. There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.
15. When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.
16. In the corner of a first-class carriage, Mr Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the Times.
17. The stranger came early in February, one wintry day, through a biting wind and a driving snow, the last snowfall of the year. Over the down, walking as it seemed from Bramblehurst railway station, and carrying a little black portmanteau in his thickly gloved hand.
18. He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish.
19. It was love at first sight.
20. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy.

And everywhere I'd look, your eyes I'd find

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2020, 14:07 
Site Admin

Good one, Purwell! :surprise: Don't know how many I'll get but here's a go.

1. All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in it’s own way.
2. Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small yellow sun. Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy
5. It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. Pride and Prejudice
6. Mr and Mrs Dursley of number four, Privet Drive were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
7. All children, except one grow up. Peter Pan
8. Call me Ishmael.
9. If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you’ll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don’t feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth.
10. I begin with writing the first sentence – and trusting to Almighty God for the second.
11. The year 1866 was signalized by a remarkable incident, a mysterious inexplicable phenomenon which doubtless no one has yet forgotten.
12. “Where’s Papa going with that ax?” said Fern as they were setting the table for breakfast.
13. The drought had lasted now for ten million years, and the reign of the terrible lizards had long since ended.
15. When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.
16. In the corner of a first-class carriage, Mr Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the Times.
17. The stranger came early in February, one wintry day, through a biting wind and a driving snow, the last snowfall of the year. Over the down, walking as it seemed from Bramblehurst railway station, and carrying a little black portmanteau in his thickly gloved hand.
18. He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish.
20. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

This is hard!

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2020, 14:18 

I used to run a pub quiz on Sunday nights in my local and this one used to go down quite well.
I don't have the answers written down yet and some of them I might have to go back and check.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2020, 20:10 

2. Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small yellow sun. Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy
George Orwell 1984
5. It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. Pride and Prejudice
8. Call me Ishmael.
20. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2020, 21:17 

George Orwell 1984
8. Call me Ishmael.
Agatha Christie, And Then there were none

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2020, 23:01 
Site Admin

George Orwell 1984
8. Call me Ishmael.
Agatha Christie, And Then there were none
18. He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish. Hemingway The Old Man and the Sea

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 12:44 

Getting there I'd better make a list of the answers!

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 13:47 
Site Admin

It's really hard, Purwell! And 'Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again' isn't even on it! :shock:

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 19:29 

Some clues.
8. Film starring Gregory Peck.
11. Film starring James Mason.
13. Very successful Sci Fi film.
17. Where’s he gone?

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2020, 22:25 
Site Admin

Is 13 'Dune'?

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2020, 07:09 

aardvaark wrote:
Is 13 'Dune'?

Not "Dune" even more famous than that.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2020, 09:22 

No 8, To Kill a Mocking Bird
No 17, The Invisible Man

Clues make it a bit easier

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2020, 10:01 

A few more clues.

No 1. Russian love story.
No 4. A secret post man.
No. 6 Wizardry.
No. 9 Teenage rebellion.
No. 10 Published in nine volumes, biography of a Gentleman, late eighteenth Century.
No. 12 Pork for dinner?
No 19 The absurdity of War

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2020, 16:05 

1. All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in it’s own way. Anna Karenina.
2. Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small yellow sun. Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy.
3. It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen. 1984.
4. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. The Go-Between.
5. It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. Pride And Prejudice.
6. Mr and Mrs Dursley of number four, Privet Drive were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much. Harry Potter And The Philosophers Stone.
7. All children, except one grow up. Peter Pan.
8. Call me Ishmael. Moby Dick.
9. If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you’ll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don’t feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. The Catcher In The Rye.
10. I begin with writing the first sentence – and trusting to Almighty God for the second. The Life And Times Of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman.
11. The year 1866 was signalized by a remarkable incident, a mysterious inexplicable phenomenon which doubtless no one has yet forgotten. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea.
12. “Where’s Papa going with that ax?” said Fern as they were setting the table for breakfast. Charlotttes Web.
13. The drought had lasted now for ten million years, and the reign of the terrible lizards had long since ended. 2001, A Space Odyssey.
14. There was no possibility of taking a walk that day. Jane Eyre.
15. When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow. To Kill A Mocking Bird.
16. In the corner of a first-class carriage, Mr Justice Wargrave, lately retired from the bench, puffed at a cigar and ran an interested eye through the political news in the Times. And Then There Were None.
17. The stranger came early in February, one wintry day, through a biting wind and a driving snow, the last snowfall of the year. Over the down, walking as it seemed from Bramblehurst railway station, and carrying a little black portmanteau in his thickly gloved hand. The Invisible Man.
18. He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish. The Old Man And The Sea.
19. It was love at first sight. Catch-22
20. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy. The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe.